Job Category: IT Support Engineer (Linux)
Job Id: 2216
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices, and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicles, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level.
Contract Duration: 12 Months with strong possibility of extension (standard benefits offered during the contract)
Location: Toronto, ON (On-Site)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Execute qualification and validation of IPC hardware permutations on the operating platform
- Provide tier-2 support for pre-live, and production work cell networking, device connectivity, and hardware issues Provide troubleshooting support to AR QA and development teams
- Work closely with the developers to test and validate functionality
- Work closely with customers to test and validate new peripheral device support
- Ensure proposed peripheral devices adhere to the standards defined for enabled work cells
- Support CDM and deployment efforts
- Validate interoperability with ethernet, and direct-connected peripherals
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Minimum of 2 years of increasing responsibility working as an IT support engineer, system engineer, systems administrator, or equivalent.
- Relevant industry-accepted certifications are a plus.
- Strong experience in relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, and operating systems
- Expertise with the Linux Operating System
- Device management (usb/serial/dvi/hdmi)
- Hardware Troubleshooting
- Window managers
- Kernel settings and modules
- PXE boot
- Storage, partitions
- Proficient with Networking concepts
- Packet tracing
- Switch configuration (Cisco IOS)
- Competent with BASH scripting or Python (no formal coding experience necessary, just understand the concepts to help yourself do tasks faster, not intended to deliver production software products)
- Proven ability to troubleshoot, problem solve and identify the root cause(s) with skill and passion for operational excellence.
On-call shifts last for one-week. From Monday at 10 am to the next Monday at 10 am and are repeated in an equal rotation among team members. If engineers cannot be available for periods during their shift, it is the engineer’s responsibility to arrange for team coverage.
High Severity Events
On-call engineer will be available 24x7 to engage in high severity events with an initial response time of <15 minutes, when paged.
During the high severity event, the on-call engineer is responsible for:
- Resolving high severity tickets (SEV1, SEV2, SEV2.5).
- Engaging in related events (engaged via a page), representing the Station Lab Team communicating the event status via ticket or Slack depending on the situation
- Escalating to the Team, or the Station Lab Team manager when required Requesting additional Station Lab engineer support when required
Low Severity Events
During regular business hours, when there are no high severity events in process, the on-call engineer is responsible for:
- Resolving tickets with lower severity (SEV3, SEV4, SEV5) open tickets in the backlog, prioritized by the ticket’s severity
- Communicating the status via the ticket.
- Hando? to the next on-call engineer at the end of the shift
- Escalating to the Team, or the Station Lab Team Manager when required
- Requesting additional Station Lab engineer support when required