Job Category: Wire Harness Design Engineer
Job Id: 2072
Location: On-site in Mukilteo, WA, 9/80 schedule - RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE!!!
Pay: depending on experience, open to all considerations
Note: Due to nature of work, only US Persons (citizens or permanent residents) need apply for this position.
Who We Are:
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people work across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs and routes 3D CAD models of wire and cable harnesses in accordance with appropriate standards and specifications
- Creates and assists in reviewing formal or informal engineering drawings of harness detail and installation, including schematics, 2D flat harness views, BOM management, identification and marking, polarization / keying information, and shielding termination
- Accounts for power distribution, communication, and high-speed data signals in designs
- Assists with producing robust designs considering EMI and challenging environments
- Contributes in selecting harness materials and hardware such as connectors, backshells, cable and wire, contacts, splices, solder, heat shrink, potting, and overshield/overbraid
- Performs engineering calculations evaluating wire sizing, bend radius, stress relief, cable length tolerancing, and vibration and thermal analysis
- Supports test activities (both electrical and mechanical) throughout the product development or production lifecycle including thermal, vibration, IR, and DWV
- Interfaces with and supports manufacturing, quality, and testing of cable assemblies from concept to delivery including technical guidance for installation and ensuring harness designs can be produced
- Supports proposals, business development, and department development activities
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- 5+ years of Wire Harness design in aerospace, defense, and/or avionics experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Detailed knowledge of military specifications and IPC standards preferred
- Strong knowledge of SOLIDWORKS
- Familiarity with IPC/WHMA-A-620, IPC J-STD-001, and common industry connector specifications (D38999, M24308, M83513, M32139, M55302)
- Experience with through-hole soldering, de-soldering, harness build and prototyping
- Knowledge of industry practices and standards used in drafting and design development of cable assemblies
- Familiarity with derating requirements for wires and cables
- Experience with electrical test equipment including DMM, HIPOT, etc.