Staff Controls Engineer
Phoenix , Arizona
Job Category: Automotive
Job Id: 4029
Status: Full-Time - OnSite
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we’re a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Design and develop MATLAB/Simulink control software
- Coordinate development across departments
- Take ownership of software through lab and vehicle testing and validation
- Collaborate with embedded/integration engineers on control algorithms
- Provide software development guidance to team members
- Collaborate in a high-skilled, fast-paced team environment
- Offer support for troubleshooting control system issues
- Create validation test plans and perform lab experiments for HV components to assess design compliance
- Establish vehicle-level test requirements for power management system validation (vehicle system DVP, pass/fail criteria, and detailed test plans)
- Implement modeling best practices to enhance model development, including runtime performance optimization, verification, and validation
- Develop tools for data analysis and model improvement
- Master’s or PhD degree in mechanical or electrical engineering
- 12+ years of professional experience
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink, specifically with Model-Based system design and auto-code generation
- Proficiency in C/C++ programming
- Experience in control algorithm development
- Direct experience in electric/hybrid vehicle-level control design, including battery management, charging systems, and state management
- Skilled in optimization methods
- Effective communication of technical data to cross-functional teams
- Solid understanding of system/component design and development processes
- Familiarity with git version control
- Experience with tools like Vector CANalyzer, CANoe, CANape
- Understanding of Microcontrollers/Microprocessors architectures
- Knowledge of torque vectoring, regenerative braking algorithms, battery conditioning, power management, energy management, and FMVSS regulations
- Familiarity with classical control theory, optimal controls, adaptive controls, MPC, ECMS, and state-space modeling
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.