Staff Electrical Integration Engineer
Mountain View , California
Job Category: Aerospace
Job Id: 3971
Status: Full-Time - OnSite
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we are a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Be responsible for the integration of the Battery Management and Power Distribution aspects into the larger energy storage system and into the aircraft as a whole.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including software, system, mechanical, system test to ensure Wisk’s Battery Management System (BMS) and other electronics in the energy storage and power system (ESPS) meet system requirements.
- Participate in the design, developing and qualification testing of the aircraft’s low voltage and high voltage protection and distribution system.
- Specify test milestones and create test plans to support integration of the ESPS electronics into the aircraft (component > sub-system > system).
- Participate in the design, development and test of the high voltage battery management systems.
- Participate in the optimization of weight savings throughout the ESPS electrical power, protection and distribution system.
- Work with system test team to specify and consolidate tech benches/rigs needed to support integration tests. Identify test resources and equipment necessary to perform the test.
- Be willing and able to design and build (with support from technicians) test harnesses and fixtures (ex. breakout box) if needed.
- Triage issues from test benches/rigs and provide direct feedback to part owners.
- Coordinate BMS HW and SW release updates for test benches/rigs.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, with 8 years of experience, (MS or PhD counts towards years of experience)
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- The prior experience designing and testing of high-power electrical systems includes:
- Able to troubleshoot circuits, hardware, and software and propose solutions to root cause issues.
- Power distribution networks
- Aircraft protection schemes for both low and high voltage systems
- High Voltage battery management and energy storage systems
- Familiarity with microcontroller operation
- Understanding of how different subsystems (Controls, Electrical, Software, Mechanical) interact, and where they commonly have issues.
- A good grasp of analog and digital hardware development; including DO-160 (or MIL-Std equivalent) processes for design, validation and verification (qualification).
- Experience with industry standard communication protocols (RS-422/485, CAN, I2C, SPI).
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- You are a highly motivated, self-starting individual with a broad set of skills and never afraid of facing complex technical challenges.
- You are a solution oriented individual with a strong analytical mindset.
- You can adapt quickly or propose changes needed to achieve early results in a timely fashion.
- You embrace challenges and take commitments and deliver results within reasonable expectations.
- You are a positive team player.
- Experience with weight minimization is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with ECAD tools Altium designer (or equivalent).
- Designing mitigations for (and troubleshooting of) EMI/EMC issues.
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and verification (qualification).
- Familiarity with CPLD, FPGA operation.
- Familiarity with Hardware-in-the-Loop concepts for software testing.
- knowledge of DO-311, lithium-ion batteries, DC fast chargers, electric motors, and DC-DC converters.
- Ability to write Python scripts.
Salary Range: $150 - $175K
The actual salary offered is dependent on various factors including, but not limited to, location, the candidate’s combination of job-related knowledge, qualifications, skills, education, training, and experience.
Location: Hybrid/Onsite – Mountain View, CA
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.