Senior Stress Engineer
Little Rock , Arkansas
Job Category: Aerospace
Job Id: 3239
Status: Full-Time - OnSite
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we’re a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Responsible for being the point of contact of all technical stress activities in assigned area, performing comprehensive stress analysis to ensure interior accommodation strength substantiation (hand calculations or FE analysis), writing the associated stress notes considering stress specialist and/or team leads suggested comments/ameliorations, supporting outside vendors stress analysis through technical reviews and proposed design improvements as well as stress engineering team activities (design reviews, stress analysis, tests, certification) for interior accommodations final strength substantiation, defining test campaigns and write associated test plans, conducting test campaigns and analyzing results and participating in studies and suggest improvement in order to reduce cost and reduce weight.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned. (Identify functions affecting the airworthiness of the aircraft by using the prefix “CRITICAL”)
- Review design drawings to ensure structural adequacy of design through hand calculations and good engineering judgment.
- “CRITICAL” Build CATIA V5 / Elfini Finite Element models and perform comprehensive stress analysis to ensure the structural strength of the structure.
- “CRITICAL” Support outside vendors stress analysis through technical discussions and suggested design improvements.
- Discuss with Design Office and suggest changes in order to improve the design when needed in particular with respect to cost and weight reductions.
- “CRITICAL” Write comprehensive and clear stress reports or stress notes considering comments/improvements suggested by the stress specialist or the team lead.
- “CRITICAL” Support technical discussions with certification teams in order to ensure final stress notes validation.
- “CRITICAL” Support the evaluation of new materials and define test campaigns and write associated test plans. Conduct test campaigns and analyze results. Write associated test reports.
- Support Liaison Engineers as needed to disposition deviations from design.
- Demonstrate creative and mature engineering judgments in anticipating and solving stress issues for substantiation and liaison activities.
- Recommend improvements to the stress group processes (analysis, check) to improve their efficiency.
- Guide Associate Stress Engineers and Stress Engineers to achieve satisfactory outcome of structural design problems and final substantiation.
- Coordinate Stress Engineering activity and keep supervisor informed on all stress group activity.
- Must be able to work in test lab assisting in cabinet and component testing.
- Must have good eye/hand coordination and must be able to work at computer terminal/screen for long periods of time.
- Must not be sensitive to noise (rivets being bucked, aircraft engines, etc) and must be able to climb into various areas of the aircraft being completed.
- Must be available at any time to support customer A/C delivery.
- Perform other special assignments as directed.
- Interfaces across departments to suggest and implement process improvements that results in reduced operational expenses and increased value to internal and external customers.
- Encourage product innovation which increases quality and customer satisfaction.
- Bachelor Degree of Science in Engineering from an accredited university or equivalent work experience can be used as a substitute with lesser degrees
- 1 year of aircraft Stress Engineering experience = 1 year towards degree requirement
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in area of applied stress engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with composite material mechanics and stress substantiation
- 3 years of experience with Elfini, NASTRAN, ALGOR or Industry Accepted Finite Element Software
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Good computer and CAD skills
- CATIA V5 knowledge
- Good technical skills and ability to perform classical hand calculations.
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with management and peers.
- Applies extensive technical expertise and has full knowledge of other related disciplines to lead / assist in development of technical solutions of complex problems by application of existing knowledge, ingenuity and creativity while understanding the impact to all related disciplines.
- Aircraft related experience.
- Understanding of Continuous Improvement & Total Quality Management methodologies and application.
- Possess integrity, good judgment, and a cooperative attitude.
- Have a strong understanding of what is good design in his/her area of expertise.
- Strong leadership skills as demonstrated through program design leadership.
- Strong understanding of EASA / FAA requirements for Part 25 aircraft.
- Familiar with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) certification requirements including the modification process.
- Familiar with STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) requirements and activities
- Proficient in computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.