Material Process Engineer
Mobile , Alabama
Job Category: Aerospace
Job Id: 3225
Status: Full-Time - OnSite
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we’re a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- This position involves working in the Materials and Processes Lab with a cross-functional team of metallurgists and chemists performing metallurgical and chemical analyses. Analytical techniques such as micro-sectioning, microstructural identification, tensile and compression testing, digital imaging microscopy, micro-hardness, and wet chemistry will be used to perform incoming inspections and to determine the root cause of failures or to implement material or process changes internally or by suppliers.
- Materials and Processes is a service group, and a Centre of Excellence for Aerospace client and as such requires interaction with the various internal customers, other Aerospace client facilities (for whom we perform failure analyses), customers and suppliers. For example, the M&P Lab oversees heat treating, plating, chemical cleaning, and special processes, all of which support several product lines within the facility. Failures and root cause investigations in any of these departments require expedient resolution for the facility’s operational success.
- Summary reports, test results and conclusions for root cause analyses are commonly written following failure analysis, material, or process changes. Follow through with implementation of corrective actions, and proof of process is required.
- Material or supplier obsolescence is not uncommon and involves working on process variables with engineering, quality, and operations to validate new suppliers or improve process variables. Metallurgical support of first article inspections for new materials and processes is required.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Bachelor’s degree and less than 2 years prior relevant experience OR
- In absence of a degree, 6 years of relevant experience is required.
- The applicant should have 0 – 3 years of experience and a Material Science/Metallurgical background.
- Due to security reasons must be a U.S. Person/Permanent Resident “Green Card” holder.
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.