Job Category: Senior Thermal Analyst
Job Id: 2902
ALTEN TECHNOLOGY USA
Position: Sr. Thermal Analyst
Location: California - Remote
Note: Due to nature of work, only US Persons (citizens or permanent residents) need apply for this position.
Who We Are:
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we’re a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Be responsible for performing thermal design and analysis tasks for multiple mechanical systems.
- Work in a multidisciplinary group to drive design electromechanical assemblies of high voltage components.
- Responsible for performing thermal design and analysis tasks for the battery systems powering a next-generation eVTOL aircraft.
- Perform analysis ranging from hand calculations and 1D models up to 3D multiphysics CFD on battery pack thermal components and systems.
- Post process and report analysis results to support design decisions and optimize the thermals management system for performance and weight.
- Develop robust automated simulation toolchains that integrate with aircraft flight physics simulator, powertrain models and cell electrochemical models to accurately predict battery thermal behavior based on a wide range of flight scenarios.
- Support the development of system and subsystem-level thermal requirements, including flow-down to the various components and parts.
- Help inform fast charging algorithms to maximize charge performance while meeting thermal management requirements.
- Design, build and perform experiments to calibrate and validate simulations.
- Support prototype builds and technology maturation testing to ensure thermal systems meet functional requirements.
- Work with test, system safety and certification teams to ensure designs meet stringent requirement to achieve FAA type certification.
- You will be responsible for providing analytical support for preliminary & detailed design, through development, validation, certification, and manufacturing & operational service.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Aeronautical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience performing thermal analysis in a new product development environment.
- Proven track record using multiphysics analysis tools such as Star CCM+, ANSYS Fluent, Simscape/Simulink, Amesim, etc.
- Experience setting up new simulation toolchains incorporating models with stakeholders distributed across various integrated project teams.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering, heat transfer and fluid dynamics fundamentals, with focus on battery and HV systems for electric vehicles and/or aircrafts.
- Familiarity with aircraft certification and aerospace development best practices and standards.
- Familiarity aviation test standards including with DO-160 and DO-311.
- Hands on experience building prototypes and running tests.
- Programming experience for system modeling and data processing, preferably with Matlab/Simulink or Python.
- Track record in product development from concept to production.
- Experience working within large assembly environments strongly preferred.
- Embrace learning, be curious, organized & methodical and pay attention to detail.
Salary Range: $140-200k
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.