California, Los Angeles
Job Category: Controls System Engineer: Motor Controls
Job Id: 2129
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people work across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Design, implementation, experimentation, and optimization of motor commutation and control algorithms for electric propulsion system such as linear motors on SIL, PIL, HIL, hardware prototypes and final production system
- Develop control algorithms for permanent magnet synchronous machines (sensor and sensorless)
- Architect, Design, test and Model of high-power converters/inverters, electromagnetic actuators (linear motors, levitation/guidance actuators) in Simulink
- Safety and reliability analysis of motor control algorithms
- Design of fault detection, isolation and reconfiguration algorithms for safety critical systems
- Interface with Vehicle Control, Embedded Systems, Electromagnetic Design and Power Electronics teams.
- Produce and/or review technical documents, test procedures, specifications and standards
- Define requirements for motor control firmware
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, or related field with a focus on Control Systems or equivalent work experience
- Deep understanding of AC machine working principles
- Deep understanding of modulation techniques (e.g SVM, …)
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Hands-on experience in designing and developing high-performance motion control platforms for power electronics
- Detailed knowledge of power converter topologies, modulation strategies, and advanced motor control algorithms utilizing field-oriented control techniques
- Experience with motor modeling and control of motors and power electronics with emphasis on Vector Control techniques
- Expert in Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow
- Experience with configuration management tools (GIT or similar)
- Validating computational models through experimental data analysis and system identification
- Low level implementation of digital controllers
- Familiar with different type of encoders, resolvers
- Experience with systems and controls documentation (logical flow charts, sequence diagrams, etc.)
- EMI mitigation strategies (shielding, filters, drive cycle shaping)
- Detailed knowledge of motion control algorithms utilizing sensor-based and sensorless rotor position calculation.
- Completion of at least two commercial vehicle programs (EV or hybrid) or motion control products (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools)
- PhD degree with focus on AC motor control
Salary Range: $110,000-130,000