Thermal Spray Engineer
Greensboro , North Carolina | San Francisco , California
Job Category: Engineering
Job Id: 3323
Status: Full-Time - OnSite
We’re ALTEN Technology USA, an engineering company that provides solutions for engineering, technology, and product development projects. For decades, we’ve been helping our clients develop products that are changing the world, whether that’s by shaping the future of space exploration, saving lives with medical devices that set a new standard of care, or creating the fully autonomous electric taxi of tomorrow. Our team of more than 600 people works across industries including aerospace, medical devices and life sciences, unmanned systems and robotics, automotive OEM and tier 1 suppliers, commercial vehicle, electric vehicles, rail, and more. Our offices across the US have different industry focuses and engage with our clients in different ways, ranging from working on-site at client facilities to performing product development at our delivery centers.
ALTEN Group, our parent company, has been a leader in engineering and information technology for more than 30 years. ALTEN Group operates in 30 countries across Europe, North America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East and employs more than 36,000 people, 88% of whom are engineers. The company covers the whole development cycle and offers a choice of service levels, from technology consulting to complete project outsourcing.
When you join ALTEN Technology USA, you join a group of people passionate about collaborating to solve some of the world’s most technical engineering challenges. Our success is tied to taking care of our employees by building relationships and providing opportunities for mentorship and career growth. We offer comprehensive benefits for all full-time employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer matching; paid time off (PTO); paid parental leave; and mentorship to help you take your career to the next level. You don’t have to take our word for it that we’re a great place to work—we were named on the 2023 Top Workplaces list thanks to feedback from our proud employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead independent process development and validation of thermal spray coatings on several components in the Linear Generator.
- Collaborate with other members of the Materials and Engineering teams to characterize coatings, identify failure modes, and execute validation tests to meet coating reliability requirements.
- Create, develop, and optimize new materials specifications and processes for constant improvement in cost and reliability.
- Write specifications, process control and quality control plans for thermal spray processes.
- Collaborate with other teams such as supply chain and quality to qualify processes and establish key process controls at manufacturing locations.
- Participate in FMEA for design, process, and maintenance.
- Support the Materials and process team with failure analysis and process development projects in other areas such as welding, metallic and nonmetallic coatings.
- Master’s degree in mechanical or materials engineering
- Min of 4 years of experience in process development of thermal sprays (industry + research)
- Capable of traveling to supplier locations up to 30% of the time.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Experience with volume production of thermally sprayed components preferred.
- Strong practical knowledge of hardware used in the thermal spray coating process.
- Deep understanding of properties and performance of engineering materials, and basic knowledge of structure-property relationships
- Knowledge of basic statistics and evaluation of process capability is highly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of being a technical subject matter expert
- Understanding and use of FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis)
- Data Analysis and reporting capabilities (Matlab/Python, Google Docs, Weibull ++, etc.)
- Adaptable self-starter, capable of thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel within the United States and Mexico up to 30%
Salary range: $90,000-120,000
ALTEN Technology is a an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Policy is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.